Sunday, December 14, 2008

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeach!

Today we went to Bribie Island.

Had a barbecue picnic - checkered beach mats, straw hats, radio and the works!
We also went kayaking, which I suck at cause we went round in circles. Harhar.

At one point, Den, Candy, Lydia, Rainer and I had to row out to a little sand island about 200 meters from the shore. Rainer was swimming along behind, so there wre FOUR of us on that little plastic boat.

AHAHA.
What a miracle it didn't capsize. Or maybe not. I'm not exactly the queen of Physics and buoyancy and whatnot.

But in any case, the kayak was too heavy to row, so I volunteered to jump out and swim along.
Besides, the weather was hot and the water was cool and inviting.

So jump out I did.-
At first it was fun to paddle along behind the kayak, with one hand holding on to the strap.
I wish I could've just floated alongside the boat without doing anything else, but unfortunately I had to kick as well or I'd have been dead weight for the poor kayak.

My thighs ache now. -_-

Anyway, I had forgotten that I'd let my sis and cousin have the 2 lifejackets - only remembering when I accidentally released the strap to shift my grip. 100 meters out to sea. WTF!

§/$&("%"(§"!

What seemed like a slow and leisurely pace at which the kayak was travelling now seemed like a motorboat to me. I paddled quickly for a couple of seconds before deciding there was no way to catch up. So I shouted for help instead.

AHAHAH!

I was so inclined to panic.
100 meters from the shore and roughly another 100 to the sand island.
I couldn't paddle that far in a swimming pool, let alone the sea. And besides, I was already tired from all that kicking.
Not to mention that the absence of the lifejacket being extremely obvious all of a sudden.

But no la! I cannot panic -_-

I mean, that boat was only a few meters away and Rainer was somewhere in the water around me anyway so there was a very very very small chance of drowning. AND I CAN SWIM ONE LA DAMMIT!

But when you suddenly lose hold on what kept you so secure and relaxed - shock set in x_x

Anyway, I floated on my back for a while until they realised I was missing and turned around to pick me up. -_- And so I loved for another day. Yay.

Oh YEA! We saw SOLDIER CRABS!
*beams*

Hundreds, maybe thousands of them, tiny crabs the size of a 20 sen coin scuttling along the sand like a swarm of red ants. You can actually hear them marching along. O_o

Anyway, they can dig REALLY fast!
I was chasing a whole group of them when I got distracted and looked somewhere else for only two seconds - I swear! - and they were all gone! With only countless little burrows as evidence of their presence.

Wah.

Lydia and Andrew were fishing with a net and they caught a lot of tiny little fish and a few big ones. A poisonous one at one point, so it was released.

Andrew carried one all the way back just to show his mom and we all thought it was dead.
But it kinda gave a weak flop of its tail so he went to put it back into the water.

I tagged along with the camera, videoing the released of the survivor.
However, after 1 minute and 40 seconds into the video and witnessing nothing but a fish floating listlessly in the water...

Sadly, I shut off the cam and turned around to fetch my slippers to rinse in the sea water (there was mud and seaweed EVERYWHERE it was disgusting!) and when I turned back to look in the sea, the fish was GONE!

WTF!

SO PANDAI PLAY DEAD MEH?

CHEEPET!

I guess the fish lived to see another day too. x_x

Either that, or a seagull ate it.
No one will ever know.

No comments: