Thursday, February 26, 2009

First Class

First class of Uni!
Although I do wish I had a first class ticket back home that I could blog about. (:

Anyway, English was up first, with Denise as my teacher. HOHOHO.
We started off by filling a form with our personal info, and then she proceeded to explain her name.
Seriously.

She told us that we would find it common that family names are put last in Australia, as opposed to our culture where it comes first. Now I know that roughly half my class is from China, but I'm sure that they know that the S of Denise S is her surname. :/ [surname removed as advised by Yap - some of these people are quite famous -_- don't want them googling themselves up lol]

Anyway, she had us do some reading comprehension on culture shock.
I finished it in 5 minutes but I pretended to be still doing it, cause I looked up and people were still reading the passage and hadn't even moved on to the questions yet. -_-

God knows people will be screaming LANSI KIA if I went 'MISS! I'M DONE!' just then. I only handed it in when another boy turned his paper in. Another Malaysian. Whoa. Our english owns. ^_^

But what the heck, I couldn't escape from scrutiny even after disguising my 1337ness T_T
Denise singled me out and with a whisper so useless the whole class could hear her (loud and clear,) began to interrogate me about my english proficiency.

"Do you like to read?"
"Yeah, I do."
"What kind of books?"
"Oh, I don't know. Anything."
"What kind...do you read biographies?"
"Sometimes. I read anything, science fiction, chick lit, anything."

At this point I was beginning to get a little bit annoyed, but hid it with my pro PEH face.

"Oh, so mainly you like fantasies?"
"Uhuhhh, yeah."
"I think you're fluent in english then, are you?"
"Yes, pretty much."
"Oh, where are you from?"
"Malaysia."
"You went to an english-based school?"
"No. I speak english at home."
"Your education wasn't in english at all?"
"Nope. Chinese, then malay."
"Never had any education in english at all?"
"Just one year, in college."
"How come your family decided to speak to you in english at home?"
"Er. Cause they said since I would pick up chinese and malay in school anyway they would teach me english at home."
"Have you studied in Australia before?"
"No."
"I see, then it's funny, because you seem to have a bit of an accent."
"Hm. Really?"
"Yea, you have this sort of...European accent. Have you been here for a while?"
"Nope. I got here on Friday."
"Well! That's funny."
"Maybe I picked it up while I was here."
"Well...maybe. Anyway, since you seem to be fluent in English, I was thinking that maybe you could bring a book to class for times like this."
"Bring a book?"
"Yes, a storybook. Seeing as you finish so fast, you might get bored while waiting for others, who may take longer, like now."

WALAO.
I was like "..."
Here I was trying hard to stay inconspicuous, and there SHE was helping me lansi the rest of the class. THANK YOU.

-_-

She started quizzing me after she gave me a sheet of paper - a student guide - to read and I finished it off under a minute. Then she handed me another sheet of paper detailing the curriculum for the year. I only read it cause I was bored.

I guess she started embarassing me cause she ran out of paper.
._.

But I don't think my classmates hate me.
:D I walked into class and decided to plop myself next to this guy who had the whole cool nerd thing going on.

A couple of girls stared at me for a moment, probably wondering why I passed them over in favour of a lone guy with a semi-shaved head, cowboy boots and his PSP on the table.

Nicky is from China, but has stayed in Aussie for 3 years+

He's restless and fidgety and does things that may seem awkward for other people, but I find quite endearing - tossing a crunched up ball of paper into the bin and missing, then jerking and jumping out of his seat with an 'oh!' to race to the fallen piece of paper and dispose of it properly, then zooming back to his seat with loud clatter and looking round to see if anyone noticed.

Naturally, everyone did.

He let me play with his PSP during our 15 minute break in class.
(It was a 3 hour class WTF.)

Got this cool Japanese drum game that works like Guitar Hero. Just follow the beat and whack the buttons accordingly. XD

Hou fun ar. :D

Later we had icebreaking games, and I can proudly say I know the names of everyone in class - around 20 people I think. WHEE. I suck at names so this is a first for me. ^_^

This year looks promising, ignoring the 4 hour classes. T_T
FOUR FREAKING HOURS WTF.

But I hope I'll enjoy drawing so much the hours will fly by unnoticed, leaving me hoping for more time at the end of the day. After all, why would I leave home (and mom and Mona and friends and doggies and CS/DotA) and fly 7000 km away, if not to do something I love?

(Besides escaping from corruption, horrible political situation, rising inflation, scorching weather, food I don't really like, discrimination, horrible drivers and sometimes discourteous citizens?)

By the way, I semi-forced the boyfriend to start a blog.
Which is here.

HAHAHA. I SWEAR THAT WASN'T WHAT HAPPENED!

My bitch.
Full of shit!

And that's why he's my bitch. :D
(Among many other redeeming qualities. :P)

No comments: