Friday, November 14, 2008

Impeccable timing

I've gotta hand it to Nick, he usually has the best timing ever.
We can go to dinner at the same time and we'd return and type 'i'm back!'at EXACTLY the same time.

Same works for baths...even coming online just in time for one of us to finish a game so we could play together.
Almost like our schedule was synchronized.

But today...good lord.

I was happily bawling my eyes out after being shouted at by my mom for failing my application - long story, let's hear it another day

So anyway, I was doing the whole breakdown mode - *sobsobsniffsniifgasp* - and wondering where was Nick when I needed to rant to him.

Lo and behold!

My phone started ringing - Nick was calling.

Just as I was shaking my head in amazement at his precise timing...

"Steph! Sorry I have no webcam here."
"What?"
"I mean, there's no webcam here so I can't webcam you tonight..."

And then I remember him telling me yesterday that he and a dozen friends were having a group sleepover to celebrate the end of exams.

"Oh, that's okay - "
"But you know that guy you were saying was cute?"
"...huh?"
"Neh, on the friendster that one, Ivan, it's his profile."
"Oh, yeah?"
"He wants to speak to you!"
"Nick, don't - "

"Hello?"
"Hello."
"So. Er, yeah. Nice to meet you."
"Huh...you too?"
And exactly when he said a cheerful "so, how old are you?" I grit my teeth and said in my calmest voice:

"Hand the phone back to Nick, please."

He seemed taken aback and offended at the same time.
"Oh, ok, fine whatever."

"Nick? What the fuck?"
"Haha, hey sorry he's a bit shy - "
"No, what the fuck suddenly you just call and give the phone to - "
"Oh sorry, it's a bit noisy in here."
"Yeah, I can't HEAR you."
"Yea, cause I put you on loudspeaker - "
"What? NO! NICK!"

He put me on loudspeaker. That BASTARD!

"Nick. DON'T."

He picked up the phone again.

"Oh, okay sorry. Hey, your voice sounds funny."
"Yea, you noticed. This isn't a good time and YOU sound like a 13-year-old yourself."
"What? Hey! No I actually do sound pretty mature if I may say so."
"Not. You sound like a little kid."
"You come to Penang and I'll show you!"
"Please do."

We chatted for a couple of minutes and I finally hung up.
Great. So now I have a failed application AND a cute boy that I just offended on my hands.

I texted Nick to tell Ivan I'm sorry I wasn't very talkative tonight.
-_____-

Me?
With my post-sniffling, stuffed nosed and strangled voice on LOUDSPEAKER?
In a room full of boys?
One of which I just publicly rejected?
That I'm possibly going to meet up with in person next weekend?

Thank you, Nick. Thanks a bunch.

My whole day feels so much better now.
No, seriously.
I'm still chuckling over how ridiculous the whole call was. -____-

Nick's timing.
Impeccable.