Saturday, February 25, 2006

Of dental hygiene and logic

How many times do YOU brush your teeth a day?

'Brush right after you wake up, and before you go to sleep,' that's what parents normally say.

Well, I'm sorry, but I think that's bullshit. o:-) Oh no, I'm not insulting your mommy and daddy...I'm just pointing out the absence of logic in that statement.

To me, brushing before you sleep makes sense, since you don't want the bacteria to attack your teeth while you're catching your Zs.

But right after you wake up? NO FREAKING WAY! I just woke up, right? And I brushed before I slept, so what exactly happened the space of that 8 hours of sleep? (5 hours, in my case)

...nothing.

That's right, nothing. Well, other than snoring and drooling. And I don't think my teeth are going to rot and fall out because of my saliva.

So why are we asked to brush in the morning?

Only God knows.

Anyway, today my mom and I were arguing on the way to the dentist. She was horrified when I said I didn't brush my teeth this morning.

Mom: "What? You're saying you didn't brush your teeth? You must brush in the morning, it's very important!"

Me: "Uh, why? I brush right before I sleep and takkan you say that my teeth will rot because of my saliva! If that's the case, why do we have saliva in the first place?"

*Mom changes subject*

Mom:"I pay 6k for your braces, you know? The least you can do is take care of your teeth! Did you know that nowadays one filling costs 90 ringgit? After your teeth decay then how?"

Me:"Puh-lease. My last cavity was ages ago. Besides, the last time I've brushed twice a day is since I was...*ponders for a while*...hey? I can't remember!"

Mom: *pengsan*

Well, she didn't really faint, but that was the gist of our conversation. I know, I know, you guys must be going 'EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!' right now. But heck, I'm sure there were days when you couldn't be stuffed to pick up that toothbrush after a long and sweaty day at school. At least I brush once a day!

Anyhow, I reached the dentist about 10 minutes after that. The dentist tweaked a couple of wires and stared thoughtfully at my teeth.

"Hmm, it's straight now, don't you think?" She asked her assistant. Maznah nodded.

So she pulled out a couple of wires with one of those scary plier thingies and mumbled something under her breath. That silly mask that dentists wear kinda muffled her voice.

"Gd brshng..."

"Excuse me?" I stare blankly.

"I said your brushing is good." She smiled. "Excellent brushing!"

EXCELLENT BRUSHING!!! =D I almost exploded in glee.

You see? My teeth are fine! I brush once a day and my teeth are fine! Not even fine, but EXCELLENT at that! Take that, you I-brush-twice-a-day-and-I'm-so-darned-proud-people! In your face!

*laughs hysterically* xD


No comments: