Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Of Olio and other things...

Okok, I confess.

Oliver's name wasn't just knocked out of my head by a speedbump. Oliver had a couple of oil marks on the front (which I have since removed) and the word 'Olio' just popped into my head.

No, no, I'm not that strange. 'Olio' is Italian for 'oil', which was my camcam's state at the time. Olio sounds like Oliver, and there ya go, my Ixus is a boy.

xD

Oliver's Review (For Yi Ling's Benefit)


Oliver is super slim, slim and a lovely shiny matte silver colour. 6.0 megapixels. It's much easier to grip, as compared to Cammie, and is (obviously) heavier, thus allowing a steadier shot.

2.5 inch- LCD screen, very fingerprint-prone, but a far cry from Cammie's pathetic and seemingly insignificant 0.5-inch screen. I am so happy.

I can shoot in B&W, Sepia, Vivid, Neutral, +Red, +Blue and +Green modes.
I can also customize my own colour scheme.
I can't solarise like with Oliver as with Cammie, but then what's photoshop for?
The battery lasts 1.5 hours with the same amount of time needed for the charge.

There is also a color swap mode, where I can swap a single colour with another of my choice. =D I have yet to test this out, as I completely wore out the battery with my experimenting.

I can shoot panoramic, postcard, and super high-res shots. The controls take a while to get used to, however, and they are kinda small.

I have to use my fingernail to poke the buttons. -_-

Ohoh! Oliver also has many, many more modes than Cammie:
  • Portrait
  • Indoor
  • Fireworks
  • Foliage
  • Underwater
  • Kids & Pets
  • Snow
  • Digital Macro
  • Beach
  • Color Accent
Kids & Pets Mode
Higher shutter speed to capture those devilishly lively creatures.


Twinkle is so cute! But even Oliver isn't quick enough to capture her tail. =(
---
Digital Macro & Macro Mode
A wide lens angle to capture pictures 3-10 cm away from the lens

My lunch!

Guess what this is!
Haha, it's only mom's coaster. =P
---
Color Accent Mode
Picks out a single colour (and/or anything close to that shade) and turns every other colour to B&W


Er, I isolated yellow. But as you can see, it didn't turn out well (the shadows turned white!) Must experiment more.
---
Indoor Mode
Super super shaky. Need tripod stand.

I injured my hand on the Coorts Express, so it's kinda shaky for now. =P
This is the song I am currently teaching myself, I love it so much!

I can also fiddle with the settings manually, which is a godsend. =D I can take FAR better pics this way, and it takes up like, half the memory space than in auto mode.

Ollie vs Cammie

Megapixels
Oliver: 6.0
Cammie: 1.5

Modes
Oliver: Plenty
Cammie: Four

Charge time
Oliver: 90 minutes

Cammie: A whopping 13 hours!

Battery life
Oliver: 1.5 hours w/flash
Cammie: Less than 10 shots w/flash -_-''

Zoom
Oliver: Up to 3.0x optical, up to 12x digital
Cammie: Non-existent

Movie time
Oliver: Up to one hour, w/sound
Cammie: Up to 15-seconds, w/o sound

From what I can tell, the only downside to Oliver, is that he doesn't came in pink. Haha!
No matter, Oliver has more than enough intellect to make up for it. He knows how to rotate the playback display according to the position of the cam!

Turn him sideways, and the pic will fall over.
Upside down, and the pic happily does a backflip.

Cool huh?

Ok, enough about Oliver. =D

***

List of birthday presents!

Mom and Dad:
Oliver, Trippy and The Princess Diaries: Seventh Heaven, w00t!

Oliver's er, skin.



The book came with a little keychain thingy. 8-)


Oh, Trippy is the tripod dad gave me today. =P



I may look puny NOW, but when you piss me off...



...I grow legs, eat humans, and drench the world with their blood! MWAHAHAHA!!!


Den:

This egg. o_O

Tua ee (my aunt):
Charge anything to her account =D

Aunty Su:


A Mamae/Momoe/Mamao (???) bag.
Geez. I don't even know the brand, can't read a single letter. Except the M.
But yeah, the bag's gorgeous!!

Sui Yi:
She sang me happy birthday over the Net! =P

JL:
She sang me happy birthday over the phone, with acoustic guitar accompaniment!

JL + Sui Yi:


This cute wallet!
I was gonna put my batu(-batu...?) seremban in it, but then I remembered that I threw them away while spring cleaning for CNY. T_T
So I'ma put my guitar picks in it. =P

Shabari:
Birthday wishes through email. xD
Thank you, but stop calling me pumpkin! ='(

Jeanette:
Testimonial + present after school reopens =P

Yi Ling:
Birthday wishes here.

Yee Mun:
Haha, read this!

Sabrina:
Testimonial

Raymond:
Testimonial, which is great, since we don't even know each other personally. =P

Ah Moey:

Testimonial, even if we haven't talked in a loooooong time. =)

Bel:
Testimonial, and maybe she's gonna teach me DotA! Yay!
---

Did I miss out on anyone? =( Sorry if I did (though it's really not uncommon for me to do so, especially with my brain in hibernate mode =P)

Oh, oh yeah!
---

Twiggy:
A Wuzzer! Thanks girl!

Joshua:
Belated birthday wishes through MSN.
And I him.
Was too lazy to call/sms. =P

May See:
Kind enough to grace a mere mortal with a handshake and an "Oh, Happy Birthday!"

*Update:

JL:
Birthday wishes here.

Shan Shan:
Birthday wishes here!

Thanks people! =D


Song of the Day:

"Waltz in E Minor (Posthumous) - Chopin"

The first page of which is included in this post. =)

1 comment:

YL said...

cams make me go high...*drool*

btw...I LOVE THE COLOUR ACCENT MODE...
looks really cool...

and 6 MP....WHOAAAA....big man....
and i like the casing also..hehe...

need to get a bigger tripod stand...but my cam too small ah... =(

dslr dslr dslr...