Thursday, January 26, 2006

Hate breeds hate. Stupidity breeds more stupidity.

Who is stupid? You must be thinking a friend, an enemy, my sister (nola)...

No, the person who is stupid is none other than one of my school's friendly educators. In other words, a teacher.

Yeah, yeah teachers are all stupid anyway, you must be saying. But no, this one really annoyed me. See, today in EST, there was a completely easy question that made me want to wet my pants (or skirt) crying.

But oh no, 90% of the class got it wrong. Not really surprising, since most are not english-educated, but what killed me was that the TEACHER couldn't decide on the obvious glaring-in-your-face answer. Okok, getting to the point.

The question goes something like this:
Smoking causes one to become nervous, ________ and anxious.

Options:
A Hyperactive
B Hypertension
C Hypersensitive

Now, ISN'T THE ANSWER PRETTY DAMN MUCH OBVIOUS??

Ok, someone may choose C, if he/she didn't know the side effects of nicotine. But for 34/36 of the class to choose B was beyond me. WAAAY beyond me.

Worst of all, the teacher was seriously considering B as a possible answer. All the while Yi Ling (yes, the other 5%) and I were sitting there going 'OMG what IS her problem?'

Read this and see if you find something wrong.

Smoking causes one to become nervous, hypertension and anxious.

Now, how on earth does one become hypertension? I don't know, don't ask me. Ask Puan Sarjit. Or wait, don't. She'll just refer to the dictionary and come up with nothing anyway.

"Girls, I've just checked the dictionary, hypertension means high blood pressure. Do smokers get high blood pressure?"

o_O''

All this while she was completely ignoring the fact that hypertension wasn't even an adjective, for chrissakes. It was a bloody NOUN. Which by the way, we just learned in English class on Monday. An abstract noun, to be exact.

Dumb. Dumbedy-dumbdumbdumb.

Oh well, in the end, with much protests from my classmates, she finally settled for the correct answer.

"Oh YEAH! Girls, NOW I remember, hypertension cannot be used to describe a person, because it is a noun! So that leaves us with A, which I feel is the best answer."

-_-''

Yap and I just looked at each other with a 'du-uh' look.

THESE are the people who are responsible for bringing up the next generation of rulers?

...

I am seriously thinking of migrating as soon as I leave school.

*Note: Author is a little cranky from lack of sleep and the fact that the computer broke down for the FOURTH time in two years and was blamed for it. Again.


2 comments:

Denise said...

HAHAHA! english teachers... what to do?

Bex said...

We have terrible English teachers. Sarjit is patronising while Selvi knows nothing. She used to call us "childrens"....

=_="

And CBN is SUPPOSED to be famous for their standard of English.