Monday, March 06, 2006

Fuck censorship!

Ah you see, censorship does not deter people who want to curse. I just said th 'F' word, see? Haha! Fuck censorship!

Enough cursing. My point is, why does the government even bother to censor foul words? The more they censor, the more people want to curse. If they don't censor anything, the foul words won't be forbidden fruit anymore. No one will bother to curse, because it's not cool to do so anymore. Reverse psychology, you see.

Anyhow, today I went to Great Eastern Mall for dinner. While my parents did the grocery shopping afterward, I stopped by the CD shop to pretend to browse through CDs, while my real intention was to listen to the music. They were playing FM's The Rising Tied (Again! Same CD as the last time I visited, a month ago!).

Naturally, I was delighted as it was my favourite new CD and I haven't gotten fed up with it yet, despite it being played 3 times in my mom's car today. (I think I'm about to make a FM fan out of mom. She seems to enjoy the music quite a lot =O)

They were playing Petrified when I went in, and my head started bobbing almost immediately, even though it wasn't one of my favourite songs on the CD. Then the song switched to Feel Like Home.

I know it don't make sense and I dont expect
For you to know what it's like smoke, drink, *silence* (piss), *silence* (sniff)
Everything in my sight push rocks in my pipe
Lift off I'll keep *silence* (puffing) 'till my lips turn white
And my chest is tight but who the *silence* (fuck) really cares
When your so far up that even death looks right

o_O'' Yeow. That's a lot of censorship. If you want to know, at the concert they left a polite silence wherever a 'fuck' was. Or they just changed the words like in the song Where'd You Go.

I want you to know its a little fucked up that
I'm stuck here waiting, at times debating
Telling you that I've had it with you and your career...

Only it's not 'fucked' up anymore. He's just 'messed' up. Now doesn't that just take the kick out of singing the song? It's just like the other rules the government imposed on the artists wanting to perform in Malaysia. Just so you know, the artists:
  • Are not allowed to say 'suck', 'ass' and 'shit' Surprisingly, Mike didn't bother to change the words around in In Stereo.

"Get this BITCH earthquaking like..." (Man, I love that line!)

  • MUST wear clothing that covers their shoulders and knees. That means no six-pack flashing.
  • Must not scream excessively.
  • Must not leap around on the equipment.
That just ruins the fun of a concert =( On the other hand, the audience are not allowed to:
  • Crowd surf.
  • Carry/be carried by someone.
  • Throw stuff at the artists.
Geez. Throw stuff at the artists? How old do you think we are? 4? No wait, our local audience DO do that. No, wait, wait, actually it was an ang moh who did that. He threw a plastic bottle at Mike when he didn't get his towel. (And they call us Malaysians uncivilised!)

Back to the point. As for movies, don't you hate it when the hero/heroine and the antagonists get in a fight?

"Shut up, you asshole! You don't know what the fuck you're talking about!"

"You fucking bastard, I can say whatever the hell I want!"

"Well, you can kiss my ass, bitch. Go ahead and run off with that faggot and next time, don't come to me when you've got your panties all up in a bunch!"

Ok, I got that last line from an Eminem song. But anyway, THAT'S what you'll see overseas, or on pirated VCDs.

In Malaysia, it'll just seem like you've gone temporarily deaf. All you can do is shake your fist at the screen and let loose a tirade of your own curses.

Stupid, ain't it?

Artists should be allowed to express themselves in anyway they want, even though it IS a little crude. (Personally, I expected a bit more of Mike. Tsktsktsk, cursing like that.) Especially in movies, GOD! Just don't fucking censor the words, ok? It irritates me (and a lot of people) no end! BAH!

I was very happy when I got Eminem's Encore during Christmas. Then, I discovered a LOT of missing lines. And sadly, I rarely listen to it anymore.

To the government: Please, just do what the authorities overseas do - slap on a Parental Advisory sticker and watch your profits come rolling in again.

Because I'm NEVER going to buy an album that has been censored. I am NOT going to let the stupid manufacterers decide what is fit for my listening pleasure.

People, do yourselves a BIG favour and play 15 bucks extra for the imported FM CD.

3 extra songs, a DVD, and fucks included.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Like the show 'How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days'. There's this scene where they were playing a game called BULLSHIT. And because the word BULLSHIT has been censored, you're practically watching a mime. (It wasn't censored the first time I watched it though.)