Saturday, March 18, 2006

Owie...

This morning I went for Scrabble practice at 10 bloody am! My brain hadn't even began to wake up yet. But I can say that when they picked partners for the first round, my brain was jolted to life in a most unpleasant way.

"Stephanie and Anne at table 5!"

Crap. That's all I could think of. Crapcrapcrap. WHY ME?? But what was I to do? I couldn't exactly march up and demand a change of partner, besides that'd be rude. So I just grimaced at Siew and drew my index finger across my throat.

Time to be clobbered.

And yes, I was 'beaten, rolled up and tossed aside,' in the words of Gabby and Ty. In case you didn't know, G & T are a couple of irritating pokemon trainers/journalists. Before I could even start, I was already nervous. Because it was ANNE.

She's not some Scrabble goddess or something, but she still scares me. o_o What's a rookie to do against someone who actually goes for competitions? And heck, her mom is the ORGANIZER for these competitions. Scrabble must run in the blood I tell you!

I died tragically with a spread of 123 points. Tragic. That means her points beat mine by a mile. I had 300+ points, and she had like, 400 over marks.

Note that each person is allowed a total of 25 minutes for the whole game. I used what, 23 minutes? When I glanced at the other side of the timer, I was thoroughly shamed. Guess how much time Anne used to flatten me?

5 minutes.

I am not kidding. >.< Second round...

"Hong Lian and Stephanie at table 6!"

Ah, under-15 category. There were only two U-15ers so they joined the U-18 girls. I won with a spread of 187. I redeemed a bit of my self-esteem, though my victory was purely because I challenged lots of words, which luckily for me, didn't exist. 8-D

Third round...

"Valerie and Stephanie at table 5!"

Crap. Not another good one. Initially our points were close, in fact I was leading by a few points in the start. But then she caught up quickly. And stayed in that position for the rest of the game. Our spread was 87 if I remember correctly, not as big a gap as the first round, but still enough to make me wanna crumple to the floor and scream in protest.

Nah, kidding. But it wasn't pleasant all the same. Ok la, my second time only. 1 out of 3 ok right?

Better than the first time. THANK GOD Annette wasn't there. The last time I played her, I was supremely annoyed.

Let me tell you the honest-to-good truth: She can talk the freakin hind leg off a freakin' donkey.

"Blahblahblah, blahblahblahblah, blahblah! Blahblahblah......" It goes on. -_-'' It's actually a good tactic for a beginner. If you can't win, annoy the other opponent until she can't play at all. Bah! But I won anyway, so it's all good.

Ok, I realise I'm boring you with this Scrabble shit. Like how I bore everyone when I start talking about chess and drone on and on about the bishop, which is my favourite piece. It's and awesome piece, you know? You can hide it behind your queen or something, no one looks out for it, and WHAM! You have a checkmate...Ok, shhhh.
Anyway, after the practice, Siew Lei and I went lepakking. Mostly we went to anime shops...



Guess which one is me. Not that hard la...


Shh, don't tell Siew Lei I don't actually know who is who in Kingdom Hearts, or Onimusha or anything. She enjoys it, so she can keep on talking about anime, if it makes her happy. I just went and bought a horribly overpriced cotton candy for 3 ringgit.


Crazy right? Stick a teaspoonful of coloured sugar in the whirly-twirly machine and you can charge people 3 ringgit for a lump of pure calories that'll rot your teeth.


Irresistible anyway.


And I will still say I hate Time Square as long as they have crappy shops and crappy people in it. I'm like, "Go back to where you came from! Maybe Sungei Wang or something!" Weird people with fashions copied straight from Japan. I saw maybe half a dozen people wearing knee-high socks like they were kids or something. Regardless of how thick their legs were.


I mean, it's ok to have um, sturdy legs. (I think one of her legs was as wide as both of my legs, throw in an arm or two.) But it's stupid to draw attention to your less-than-pleasant features. That would be like me wearing a string bikini or something. Yeah, horrible right? You can get that picture out of your head now. o_O


The worst things were the stupid lepakking guys with absolutely nothing to do. Except walk around blowing everyone second-hand-smoke like they were thugs or whatever you call them.


Siew Lei went into 7-11 to buy some food, and I had to wait outside, as I was still licking cotton candy off my fingers. No food allowed inside what!


So I was leaning against the wall, waiting for Siew Lei's fried rice to heat up. (Yes, they sell fried rice in 7-11. They have a microwave too.) Then these what do you call them again?


Erm...the guy version of Ah Lian? Ah! Ah Beng! Only these weren't the regular dyed-hair, bespectacled, super-pale because of under-exposure to sunlight kinda Ah Bengs. They were the super full of themselves, loud as a motorbike-with-smoke-on-their-breath type of idiots.


Suddenly out of nowhere, these guys came swarming around me. I'm like geez, back it up man. A girl needs her personal space. O_o So I, cotton candy and all, just backed out of the rapidly closing triangle and leant against the opposite wall next to an uncle with his talkative wife and 3 little kids.


Ha! See if you dare come near me now!


Then they starting making these little sounds I use when I want to make my dog come. You know that clicking sound you make with your tongue when you want to get someone's attention? Yeah, that one.


Bah! I hate this low-class crowd. Absolutely terrible. I just stared at the wall and continued with my cotton candy. Yumyumyum...


Finally those Ah Bengs got the message that the cotton candy was way more interesting than they were and walked away.


Sweet victory!


Finally, after a mini-eternity, Siew Lei came out with her fried rice. I feel the heat of the guys' glare on our backs. Haha. Too bad la.


I swear, I'll never come to Times Square ever again, except for when I want to go to the iMax theatre and the theme park. And I thought Sungei Wang was bad. x.x


Ha! And I know Den wants cotton candy too!


Oh, and congratulations if you even bothered to read this far. Super long and boring post, I know. Remind me to belanja you McD ice cream next time, ok? =D See? It pays to pay attention to my rants. xD



Print out and present to manager on duty. =)

2 comments:

Denise said...

Yay! Free McD ice-cream for me. And I want cotton candy too.

Denise said...

Your drawing of the ice-cream cone so cute.Yumyum.