Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sorrow

No, that would not really be the word for it.
It's more like a distant pang of sadness - not prominent nor intense. It's just there.

Wei Lim's friend died in a hit-and-run early yesterday morning. He just found out today.
I can't say I'm very sad for the boy who died specifically - I didn't know him at all. But I can feel my friend's pain even through his words.

His parents disallowed him from going to the wake.
Reason?

"This year is not a good year."

What the fuck?
How can you deprive your son of his last chance to bid farewell to his friend?

I told him to go...just go.
He can drive, he's 18 - he can make his own choices if he wants to.

He sighed, said he didn't want to fight with his parents and told me be careful on motorbikes and come home straight after midnight.

I thought remarking about the after midnight part, but I stopped myself and just said ok.
If it gives him peace of mind, so be it.

I wish I were there to comfort him. How can you express your sympathy through texts and PMs? I barely know him, but what I DO know is the pain of losing someone you love.

There was once Ying told me a sad story about a puppy she found on the street.
It was adorable and she wanted to take it home, but she was afraid it belonged to someone, so she didn't.

She played with it and took a few snapshots, then went to her boyfriend's place.
On the way back, it was lying on the street, bloodied and broken - victim of a hit-and-run.
It was still alive, however. It looked up at her with pitiful eyes.

She panicked. It looked so tiny and fragile that she didn't dare to touch it.
She called her boyfriend, asking for help.
He was busy and by the time he came, it had rolled over and died.

She showed me pictures some more. Wtf.
I almost cried in class.

I trusted my untidy mess of hair to cover my teary eyes as I looked up in response to someone calling my name; Viv slapped my back, chiding me for failing to act cute.

I don't even know why I felt so sad for an animal I had never even had contact with.
It's not even part of my life.

But Ying was sad, and I was sad.

I don't understand.

How can I be so numb to my own losses and feel so much for the sorrow of others?

How can a drunk driver ram into a young boy, causing his body to fly and hit a tree, and then drive off - leaving him to bleed to death, alone and in the cold?

He was hit early Sunday morning at 2 am, after fetching his girlfriend home and going out with his friends.

The driver - presumably drunk - hit him and fled the scene of the crime.

His lifeless, broken body was found at 7am and sent to the hospital.
They couldn't do anything by then.

Maybe, just maybe, he would have survived if the driver had the sense to take him to the emergency room.

How can you run away for your own sake - to preserve your reputation, your own welfare - and let others die in the process?

A life, taken because of one's ignorance, gone forever from the lives of his friends and family.

The thought of it sickens me.

My deepest condolences to Wei Lim and the deceased's family.

Even if you are a stranger to me, may you rest in peace, Hong Han Xiang.

No comments: