Monday, August 18, 2008

Nevermind

As you all probably know by now, Chong Wei won the silver medal for Men's Singles in Badminton.

I decided to start off with a positive note - as opposed to 'NOOO CHONG WEI LOST TO LIN DAN!!!'

Right before the match, the excitement radiating from my friends online was palpable.
Even I felt a little anxious for the match to start - and I don't even watch sports.
However, I think that most of us non-sports-watchers abandoned our 'sports is boring' mindset and tuned in for the aforementioned match anyway.

Some part of me felt enthusiastic, yet another part of me felt nothing but dread.
*shrugs* Call it instinct or whatever - I didn't think he was going to win.

Or maybe it's just that I was weighing the odds - rankwise, homeground advantage, amount of supporters...based on those alone the match was already lost.

To say that Chong Wei was completely steamrollered would be an understatement of sorts.
He was slaughtered.
eek

I don't even know how to play badminton (I stopped trying after an unfortunate incident involving Lu, the edge of a racket, and my head) and even I could see that Lin Dan was wiping the floor with Lee. cry

His agility was no match for Chong Wei, who was floundering all over the court.
He kept doing the same moves though - making Lee run to one end of the court to save the shuttlecock, then smashing it to the opposite end. =_=

At one point, Chong Wei replicated this move and even managed to score!
[insert loud cheers from my mommy here]
But the game was too far gone by then.

If I were him, I'd be sitting down in a corner bawling my eyes due to sheer pressure (BEFORE the match even started.)

Look at it this way:

-The chance of Malaysia winning its first olympic medal rests on your shoulders.
-1 million ringgit prize money from the Malaysian government hangs in the balance.
-Thousands, maybe millions of Malaysian are currently rooting for you at home. LIVE.

Enough to make you sweat?
No?

Ok, throw in a top-seeded opponent.
-Throw in a venue which is in said top-seeded player's country.
-Throw in scores of screaming fans chanting 'Lin Dan JIA YOU!' repeatedly.
-Throw in a relatively pathetic bunch of local supporters waving your flag halfheartedly and not seen to be cheering at all for you.

You should be shaking with nerves by now; if not, you're some sort of superhuman.
surprised

My point is, you shouldn't blame Chong Wei for putting on such a poor performance. The odds just weren't in his favour.
sad

Although, I kept stamping my foot impatiently whenever he hit the shuttlecock in the net for the xxxth time. mad It's like URGH! Not again!!!

And swt.
I was flamed for saying Lin Dan is kinda hot.
evil Don't be such sore losers, sissies.

We lost - accept it.
No need to go around whining that Lin Dan is a lansi bastard blablabla.
He put on a great show and earned his medal fair and square.

Just shut up and be glad that we won a nice shiny silver medal already ok?

And JUST because you're a guy, it doesn't mean you can't appreciate good looks. -_-
Even KC says he's hot. And he's a guy too!

Pfft.

...Abuthen once everyone started in on me for saying that, he joined in relentlessly as if he didn't say Lin Dan was hot too - a mere 2 minutes before!

WTF.
Bastard!
RAWR!

Guys suck balls.

Congrats Chong Wei. ;D
Although you screwed up a bit, you did us good and I'm sure Malaysia still loves you.
biggrin

1 comment:

YL said...

yes agree.

im so sick of almost everyone scolding Lin Dan bastard or asshole or whatever.

He's good. He won. We lost. Shut up and stop blaming Lin.


although I dint watch the match la. xD