Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Boing.

I'm bored! I'm sitting at the comp (duh) with my Chemistry reference book sitting in front of me. Closed, of course.

But I don't feel guilty at all because there's only English tomorrow. =P I'd die a pathetic little whore before I feel the need to study English. So I'm all clear. ;o)

***

Something really pisses me off. You know Rihanna's song SOS?
The bloody bitch totally ripped off the background music and some of the vocal melodies too.

>:(

From one of my all time favourite songs no less. Soft Cell's Tainted Love. Grrr.
Well, actually it was originally sung by some lady called Gloria Jones, but popularised by Soft Cell.
Not that it's very popular right now, though it probably was back in the 80's.

...but then my mom didn't know about it either.

*SOS plays on the car stereo*

"Grrr. You know, this song is a complete sham! They ripped off Soft Cell's Tainted Love, added on some lame repeated vocals and try to pass it off as a single."

"Tainted Love? Oh, I know that song. It's not by Soft Cell la girl, it's by...whatshisname ar? Aiyo, can't remember la!"

"Nola, it's Soft Cell mom. I like the Marilyn Manson version though, you don't mean him (them)?"

"No..."

---ten minutes later---

"Oh! Robert Palmer! Yeah, Robert Palmer sang Tainted Love. He's the original singer!"

"NOLA, it's Soft Cell! They sang it back in the 80's! If that Arnold Palmer guy is the original singer, how old is he now?"

"Dunno. But it's definitely Robert Palmer."

"Fine. Argue with Google."

"Fine."

I don't know why mom is so protective over her precious 70's/80's singers.

"Have you heard the song Car Wash by Xtina and Missy? Sounds familiar wei..."

"Yeah! Copycats stole it from an old song la! My time one ah, you see? My time the songs all so nice...not like the crap you get nowadays!"

I'm very, very insulted. >:(

Or:

"Hey mom, you like this song? Simple Plan played it during their concert, remember?"

"Yeesh, this song was originally by what was the group's name again...the Herman's Hermits! Why you people nowadays can't write your own songs?"

"...Yer, what kind of name is that?"

What I really wanted to say was that there are such things as covers.

Anyway, I checked. Happy Together was originally recorded by The Turtles, not the Hermit people. My mom's a bit muddled too. =P

***

I go home to search "Tainted Love", and to my eternal embarassment:

Born on 12 September 1938, in Longview, Texas, U.S.A., Gloria Jones recorded the 1964 northern soul classic "Tainted Love", later a hit for the UK synth-pop duo Soft Cell and, later, Marilyn Manson.

Well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

Meanwhile, I conduct a search on "Robert Palmer":

Tainted Love my foot. Robert Palmer is best-known (if known at all) for singing 'Addicted To Love.'

*cackles*

***

Also, as I was enjoying my spaghetti just now, I found myself growing to like a song. From a local band.

*Update: Apparently SingleTrackMind is a single artist, sorry.

I was like, wow! We're finally making progress!

My happiness was short-lived though. As the song progressed, I recognized more and more riffs, and most importantly, the melody of the chorus.

Bloody SingleTrackMind ripped off Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home!

Oh. My. God.

Just when I start to open my mind to local bands. Gee. Why not trying to write your own tunes for once, you pathetic little wannabes?

I mean, if you want to cover a song, go ahead and do it. But don't take an awesome song, cut it into little pieces, make an ill-fated attempt to stick it back together with cheap factory glue, rename it, then have the cheek to release it as a single.

So useless. -_-''

I mean, Limp Bizkit completely murdered two of my favourite songs, Home Sweet Home and Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve.

But at least the title is still "Home Sweet Home/Bittersweet Symphony"

They didn't make a lame attempt to pass it off as their own work. (Though they should be fully credited for butchering both the songs)

Yes, I've heard of new bands having certain influences, but it pisses me off that you turn into a carbon copy of your heroes, and then try to pass yourselves off as the new Motley Crue, Linkin Park or SOAD.

It's just not going to work, Mr. Wise Guys. *frowns*

To avoid people accusing me of not supporting our local music scene and yaddayaddayadda, I like Pop Shuvit's 'Journey,' ok? So there.

***
---Randomness---

Am I becoming to self-absorbed? Heeheehee.

Shan and Sash:

"Hey I like your jeans la!"

Me:

"Thanks! I like them too!"

So gedik la, haha. Must control myself. =)


Song of the Day:

"Home Sweet Home - Motley Crue and Chester Bennington"

What else will do? =P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He does not listen to Motley Crue I am sure but which part did you mean when you thought he copied? Chords are used over and over in all songs over decades. Interesting comment.