Thursday, November 01, 2007

Blood

Blood, blood, gallons of the stuff...


I have just gotten the results of my first blood test!
So exciting!

Well, I FINALLY know what my blood type is: O+

Yes!
Since a few years back, when I actually started caring about blood type, I've wanted to be type O.
It just appeals to me to be a universal donor.
I don't know why, most people say I'm completely nuts, and that type AB is the way to go.

Universal Donor vs Universal Receiver

I dunno.
Maybe it's because I've felt more secure about my health than I feel about those around me - If someone needs blood, I'm willing to give it to them.

So it makes me happy that I can donate to practically everybody - except O- maybe?
Sorry, wasn't paying attention in Bio. XD

However, this little fantasy of mine - no, I'm not masochistic, Yap - was abruptedly shattered when I nearly fainted when the doctor tried to draw my blood.

-_-!!!


I was just like, what the hell I AM NOT FAINTING! NO NO NO I'M NOT!

*slumps in chair*

Well, I didn't, but it certainly came close.
Zzz.

The doctor said that my blood pressure was way too low for a normal teenage girl - and sucking it out of my arm probably didn't help much.

She complained that my veins were hidden - it took her a good 5 to 10 minutes just to find my vein. She was poking and prodding until my elbow joints turned a faint bluish purple. = =

"You have hidden veins, follow your mother la!"
"Yay! Good la."
"No it's not, I can't find your vein!"
"But my arm looks nice and white right?"
"..."

Haha.

After finally finding a viable vein - with the help of her nurse - she asked me whether I had a problem with needles.

"No."
"Really?"
"No, I'm fine!"

*disbelieving look*

She told me to look away while she swabbed the area with alcohol and poked the needle in.
It barely hurt at first - it's like piercing your ears, really.

But when she started fiddling around with the needle, my arm started to ache.
The needle was in for - I kid you not - at least 3 minutes!

Wtf!
How long can it take to suck out 2 vials of blood?
She told me that my blood refused to come out.

-.-

Stubborn, just like the owner.
By now my arm was really aching - imagine someone wrapping a cold cloth directly around your bones, it was that kind of dull, chilly ache - it felt cold due to the alcohol and duh, the lack of blood flow.

At this point I was starting to feel faint, she kept telling me to pump my fist open and closed to coax the blood out, and I was just telling her "no. My hand has no energy..."

Fainting is not blacking out, it's more like whiting out.
Which was exactly what I started to do.

The doctor hastily withdrew the needle and told me to lie down.
She said that 'ah, 2 vials is enough la' - I didn't have enough blood anyway. What la!

Then she was like:

"My fault, my fault, I should have taken it lying down...her blood pressure is so low..."

ZZZ And because of that, I DIDN'T GET TO SEE MY BLOOD!

WAH!
And that was what I was waiting for the whole time!
To see a vial of thick looking blood with that lovely rich velvety red colour...

But NO!
Instead, I was hurried off to the bed, and they had already packed my vial by the time I recovered and wandered out to ask for it.

-.-"

Disappointed la.

Anyway, my results were perfectly fine, except for a problem with my cholesterol.

I kid you not.

Here I am, all of 16-years-old, and I have high cholesterol!

Double-you-tee-eff.

Mom told me that even Aunty Su's cholesterol was better than mine.
Walao, beaten by a 40-something year old auntie.

Paiseh.

No more deep fried food for me - which isn't really a problem, since I've started packing food to school, instead of buying nuggets EVERY SINGLE DAY, and school is ending anyway.

...I always thought high cholesterol was associated with fat, and fat people.

-.-

I mean, we study cholesterol which comes from fat and builds up along the walls of our blood vessels, blocks the flow of blood to/from the heart, and ultimately causes heart attacks.

...

Oh God, what have I done?

o_O''

It may be politically wrong, but whenever anyone mentions heart attacks, I immediately think of old/fat/both people.

I mean, I can imagine someone like Randy Jackson or Hugh Hefner getting a heart attack, but if you told me Paris Hilton just had a heart attack - I'd probably laugh and tell you to stop being stupid.

><''
Besides that slight problem *waves it aside* I have been diagnosed with mild haemolysis and an abnormally high amount of liver enzymes.

OI!
My liver is malfunctioning already?
At this age?
I didn't even TOUCH the Bailey's in Australia! (And lemonlimebitters don't count ='( )

And do you even KNOW what haemolysis IS?

Red blood cells bursting!
Exploding!
Kabooming!

OHMYFRICKINGOSH!

My erythrocytes are self-destructing!
Masochistic like the owner.

._.''

Fortunately, the doctor said this problem is likely to be caused by her poking around in my veins for too long - the liver enzyme problem too (YAY don't need to stop drinking!)

See la.
My red blood cells have feelings too!
You torture them too much, the become depressed and commit suicide!

=x

Okay, I think it's time to give some well deserved rest to my overactive imagination.
Good night.


Song of the Day:

"The Great Escape - Boys Like Girls"

Stupid catchy loveable song =(

4 comments:

YL said...

o_O

owh. so that is haemolisis.

and...

I CANT BELIEVE YOU FAINTED!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

oh wait. i should be sad about that or other way round? =S

so much for your masochist fantasy but ended up fainting.
hahahaha
xD

anyway, drawing blood sucks la. i got 2 blue black fingers when they try to draw one of them but failed. -_-

oh. and.

take care.

LOL

Denise said...

you make a scary thing sound funny... =/

go eat more red meat! go go go.

anisawrus said...

eeeee... steph is old already!! she's got high cholestrol!! xP
hahaha. i dunno whether to feel sorry for u or not. (im such a meanie =P) im not surprised when u said u hv high cholestrol because its a new "disease" among teenagers these days. they only take proteins n fats yet less carbohydrates. teenagers need more carbohydrates for energy meh. go balance ur diet steph! hew2.

Chuckie Cotton said...

Cholestrol?

I once had tht prob..
3 years back, and was dianogs for having minor heart attack, tht explains why I always faint...

Now the heart aatack is over, I'm having arthritis & anaemia...

Oh shit!!my sickness can never end...