Sunday, May 25, 2008

I think...

I think I need a haircut. I can't stand my hair all unruly and sticking out in 27 different directions. But at this rate, I'm never ever going to grow my hair out. =_=

What happens after you die?
Is there an afterlife?
Is there reincarnation?
Or is there simply nothing?

When I was young I used to be terrified that there should be nothing after you die.
I mean, look at all the lives around you - so many, so different. Don't I get to try any of them out after I die? =/ What if you're just a spirit floating around endlessly for millenia to come - hell, you can't even die of boredom since you're already dead.

I hate being bored. To think that I may be bored for millions of years - floating around in the ether - until I find some body to be reborn into just makes me ill.

When I was younger I had these theories about when a person dies, he or she just hops on into the next world, the next life in the endless cycle of...er, recycling souls. Maybe there's a world completely different than ours now.

Maybe there is a third gender.
Maybe there are more colours.
Maybe we have different senses.
Maybe we are telepathic.
Maybe there is no such thing as pain.

Who knows?
It's part of a child's life to fantasize about these things, and I was no exception.
Admit it, it's an intriguing topic to think about.

After years of continuous development of science, there has yet to be solid proof of what happens when a person's vital signs cease.

What if you lose all sense of identity, all your memories, all your feelings of love towards your loved ones...and just start again? A blank slate, wiped clear of all traces of the past.

What if this life is merely our first?
What happens when we have a second life, or third, or fourth?
Do we get to retain our memories?
Do our personalities change?
Will we fall in love with the same wandering soul?

Or is there just nothing?
Nothing but a deep void where your soul is destroyed and does not exist in the world anymore?
Where would our conscious thoughts go?
Will I still be able to think like I am thinking now?

How about people who are in comas?
It seems that they are barely alive - their body only maintaining the minimum requirement to keep the physical body functioning.

Machines do not register any sign of brain activity.

Are they alive, or are they dead?
The body is barely alive, but is incapable of any independent movement or thought.

Is the person's soul roaming about the atmosphere?
In a different plane?
In a different world?
Is it merely hibernating?
Is it trapped inside the host body, silently screaming and clawing to be released from its earthly prison...but to no avail?

The last thought scares me.
It scares me more than I can describe.
What if it happens to you?

What if you had to lie in a single position indefinitely, unable to see, unable to move?
Maybe you could hear and smell; maybe all your senses are numbed.

Would you be able to sleep, or is sleep merely a physical condition induced by the brain?
Since the body's already asleep, are you doomed to be forever awake in helplessness?
Unable to choose to live or die.
To have your entire life - eating, shitting, bathing - controlled by family members or by medical staff paid to do their job - to keep your soulless, immobile shell alive.

Could you manage to lie still for 70 years until your body naturally disintegrates and releases your soul to higher ground?
Or would you succumb to insanity and turn into one of those mythical spirits portrayed in many a horror movie, eternally seeking revenge upon those who would not let you go while you were still alive?

Wtf, I'm scaring myself.
I shouldn't think too much.

I like purple nail polish, eyelash curlers and stuffed unicorns.

There, I feel a whole lot better now.


Song of the Day:

"Warning - Incubus"

Storybooks do this to you. -.- Thought-provoking, indeed.

1 comment:

YL said...

ah i prefer to think that when we die, we go into a deep sleep and have happy dreams forever.

just sleeping and dreaming (and probably rotting but you wont know it since you're dead).