Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wedding bloopers

*Updated: With pictures! Sorry about the blurness. Halfway through I changed modes and unfortunately my phone doesn't do macro. ^^"'

I went for my cousin's wedding on Monday night, and the place was gorgeous. ;D

It was at Summer Palace and the decor was simple but nice.


There were rose petals strewn all over the VIP tables (I'm a VIP! ;D) and you know how I LOVE roses. I kept picking them up, sniffing them and nuzzling my nose into them. ^^ So soft!

And the doorgift wasn't some lousy porcelain ornament or cheap fruitcake (I HATE fruitcake) - it was a small jar of butter cookies with sugar icing that the bridegroom's mother baked! It was delicious - I snuck a few into my growling tummy; you know how late these Chinese weddings start.

100% HomeMade
101% Baked With Love

Special Edition for
The Wedding of Kevin & Candice
26th of May, 2008


There was another version of the labels, but unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it, and mom's and my jar had the same label. =[

Balloons! Oh, balloons!
I love balloons! ;D I don't exactly know why, but they are so happy-making.
They just float around aimlessly.


There were a couple hundred helium balloons bumping the ceiling gently, shaken by the air-conditioning. Long trails of golden ribbon hung down from the balloons, filling the room with a cheery, festive atmosphere.

And YES! Beryl's chocolate instead of fruitcake!
I love love. ;D


Maroon napkins, pale gold table cloth and white chairs.
A bouquet of carnations (also one of my favourite flowers, except for the smell) sat as the centrepiece of our dining tables.


Soft music played in the background: Michael Buble and the like. And MUSE! OMG yayyyy =x I told you Unintended was such a romantic song.

My cousin looked so pretty in her cheongsam - one of the few dresses of the night.
Her classmate and one of her best friend's designed it. (TOA ftw!)
The groom also looked handsome, in a young, la-la kind of way. =]

And since they were both young, you can forgive them for the few bloopers that happened throughout the night.

During the champagne-pouring ceremony where you're supposed to pop the cork off the bottle and pour it into a pyramid of wine-glasses (champagne in wine-glasses? -.- I guess you can't exactly stack champagne flutes) this is what happened:

Kevin, the groom, shook the bottle hard and the cork fell off in an extremely anticlimatic manner. His hand was drenched in champagne.

Candice, the bride - my cousin, which I prefer to call Wai Wai ;D - was more aggressive. She shook the bottle and it popped prematurely - before the host asked them to.

The cork jetted off and hit her mother in the face. LOL.
Only on the cheek though, so it was all good except for perhaps some smeared foundation? =x

Seems that violence runs in the females of my family.

After the poured the wine - a tad too fast, almost all spilled and the bottom glasses were nearly empty - they took two glasses in preperation to drink with their hands intertwined. ^^

The groom curled his arm and placed the glass near his lips...and my cousin did the same.
Pointed it at his mouth that is.

He looked so befuddled with two glasses pointing in his face that I burst out laughing.
My cousin hastily retracted the glass towards her lips instead. =x

There was a horrible scare during the dinner as one of the elderly ladies sitting at the table (I'm not sure if it was the bride or groom's grandmother) fell off her chair and onto the floor.

My eyes widened in horror as I saw her laying on the floor.
Heart attack? Choke? Stroke? My mind was flooded with all sorts of horrible notions as my relatives gathered around to help her. Children rushed forward, giggling at the spectacle.

But it turned out that she had simply lost her balance and fallen off the chair.
An 80-something-year-old wrinkled lady who didn't speak at all - she looked so frail that I was afraid she would be hurt.

But she looked fine.
When they placed her back on the chair, she looked like she had no idea what was going on at all and leaned forward, picking at her food.

What happened next made me snort in amusement, however.

The hostess of the dinner took the lady's cardigan, wrapped it around the back of the chair and tied it to the grandma's waist so that she wouldn't fall off again. Like a child with a seatbelt! >_<

It was touching when my cousin dedicated a special thank you my dad and mom for helping her out in her rebellious days.

It sucked, however, when my mom promptly burst into tears. =_=
I sat there nibbling awkwardly at a mushroom as my uncle and auntie and my cousin rushed over to comfort her. I felt close to tears myself, but thankfully I possess more self-control and reached for my wine glass and emptied it.

A balloon floated down from the ceiling and rested I my lap.
I took it home. Mom said I was red in the face from to much alcohol.
I said 'Nonsense! I'm not red at all!' and promptly burst into giggles.

-_______-

I was still emo about the mom-bursting-into-tears thing that when I went home I made KC skype me and talk to me until I felt better. I was happy that he layaned me, although he had no idea what was wrong. (Nic was no where to be found - he took an early night)

All in all, the wedding was a nice affair. ;D
I liked her outfits and the picture slideshow and the disco ball!


However, some of her friends were dressed in la-la outfits that looked like clubbing attire.
That, I would have done away with. Mini-skirts and tights and gunny-sack dresses? Please. -.-

But as I wasn't exactly in a proper dress myself, I can't say anything further. ^^''
I wore a clean white shirt and black slacks, heels and painted my nails bright red for the occasion. I even combed my hair! I chewed off my lipgloss within 10 minutes of exiting the car, so I guess that didn't count.

To my surprise, Aunties Jaso, Mala, Gertrude and Lat were also present.
They looked at me critically as I strode in (feinting confidence although I was terrified of falling in my heels -.-)

They studied my slut-red fingernails.

"You've come a long way, Steph."

They studied my black toenails.

"Look at that...vampire colour on her toenails! Oh my goodness."

They checked my outfit out.

"You're so tall and thin!"

I grinned, lifted my leg up and wiggled my near-3-inch heels at them. (5 foot 11 ftw! LOL)

They finally looked me in the face, and I guess they liked what they saw.

"You're getting much prettier nowadays."

;D Eureka!
Not that I'm super pretty or anything...please take note that these ladies have known me since I was a mere child of 7 years.

A girl that was mischeivous, dorky, tomboyish, had braces and thick glasses, bony, pimply, gangly, slouchy, scowling, greasy mushroom/salad bowl haircut, rainbow coloured toenails, and had a tendency to wear a baggy t-shirt and jeans/cargo pants to formal events.

Compare this to a fairly well groomed girl of 16 (I combed my hair for goodness sakes!) in a proper white shirt, NOT jeans, red-painted nails, contacts and partially chewed-off lip gloss standing up straight in 3-inch sandals. With a smile to boot. (What a relief from my usual blank/scowling/brooding face!)

After not seeing them and their children (they're my friends parents) for roughly 4 months, I guess they must've thought college had changed me.

Truthfully, they've just never seen me dress well. ;x
Muhaha, this is just the beginning!
I'm wearing a full-length dress for the groom's-side dinner!

*evil laugh*

Ignore the bones and I think I'll look ok. =)
Hopefully I'll put on enough weight to look presentable for prom. T_T Feed me, people!

Mom wants to let me wear her maroon lace wedding cheongsam, but I think I'll save that for a special occasion. Like my own wedding, for example, or my sister's wedding!

Okay, good night.
Man, tomorrow I'm going to die on ice. (Ice skating ftw!)

I will update this post with a few (very few) pictures tomorrow - I didn't take any after the dinner started. -.-

As for my birthday wishlist that I've been bugged to compile, I'm going to procrastinate until probably after my birthday.
Damn lazy la...surprise me, friends! ;D

You don't even have to buy me a present, actually.
Just grace me with the pleasure of your company during these holidays and I'll be more than satisfied. Hehehe.

Lol, Nicky is already counting down my birthday and I haven't even started. =_=


Song of the Day:

"Thank You for the Music - ABBA"

Days to Stephanie's 17th birthday: 8
There! A countdown! :D

1 comment:

Denise said...

PICTURES please! a lot of them. wanna see :D