Monday, January 07, 2008

Take 2

Day 2 of college.

I arrived late for my class.
My maths teacher now officially recognises me as "Stephanie-LateToClass."
Fantastic.

It's not my fault!
I arrived at college at 5 to 8, leaving me ample (ok, slightly rushed la = =) time to walk to my class.
I walked up 2 flights of stairs, following this guy in front of me that I recognised from Thursday.

He reached our designated classroom, peeped in, came out, stared at the door for a few seconds before I finally caught up.

A sign on the door said "D21"

I stopped to consult my map as the boy hurried off.

Oh crap.
My maths class had been changed to a classroom at the other end of campus on the 4th floor.
= =''

Now I knew why the boy dashed off so quickly, I started walking fast, but I was already panting by the time I ran down 2 floors and up again - the buildings weren't connected. Ish.

And I arrived at my classroom breathless, dishevelled and undeniably late.

...they should really consider investing in some escalators, what with the astronomically inflated fees we're paying them.

I sat at the back of the classroom again out of habit.
I've always been in the last row ever since I was in Standard 1, except for that year where I got stuck in front of teacher's table cause I wasn't a very attentive student. =/

By breaktime, I decided to put myself out of my misery by at least TALKING to someone.

I put down the storybook that I carry everywhere, that condemned me to loner status; I turned to the girl sitting at the table next to me in the cafeteria and spoke.

"Hey, I'm Stephanie, and you are?"
"I'm Swarna..."
"Where are you from?
"Oh! I'm from India, today's my first official day at here."
"Cool, which class are you in?"
"...actually, I'm in your class."

My smile faltered.
Oh. Shit.

"You're the girl who sits at the back right? I'm the one who answered the accounts question just now."
"I uh, sorry, it's just that I see people's backs only - I don't recognise faces. Plus, I'm sleepy and all..."

Damage control! Hahaha.

"Oh, haha yeah."
"So, have you bought your stuff yet?"
"Yeah! There are people outside selling secondhand books and all, I just got mine."
"Really?"
"Uh huh, I can show you where they are. If you're free, that is..."
"Sure!"

^^''

Oh man, it really sucks when people know you and you have no clue who they are.
It's embarassing for both parties.

I remember in secondary, random people used to come up to me and start talking animatedly like we've been friends forever, and I'll be like...

"I'm really sorry, what's your name again?"

Winces all around.
But it has to be done, better to ask earlier than never, right? =/

Haha, in CBN though, people go "Hi Steph!"
And I don't know them at all.
Damn creepy wei.

Makes me feel damn self-conscious.
Where do they recognize me from?
Oh yeah, I'm the only girl whose head sticks out during assembly.
That's right. Miss tall-and-skinny!

Pffft.
Today the cashier at the cafeteria looked at me and went:

"You're 6 feet ah?"

I balked.

"No! No! I'm five eight."
"I'm taller than you but you seem so tall..."
"Cause I'm skinny."
"Yeah, you're skinny."
"...ahaha, kay seeya."

I am not tall!
People are just short!

I don't want to be remembered as that tall thin freak who has a loud voice but doesn't like to talk much.
Crud.

But I guess it's better than not being remembered at all.
Right?

I mean look, that guy who transferred out of my class remembers me, even though we never spoke in primary. And today, when teacher forgot to call me during roll call and I raised my hand, some guys in the back went "Stephanie."

So okay.
I'm not totally invisible. = =''

But I still feel out of place.

The girls have gelled into 2 groups, the boys into another 2, and I'm left alone, besides a couple of awkward guys and some quiet girls.

But I'm making progress.
That counts. ^^
Maybe this year won't be so bad after all.

Maybe la.

I just remembered this Thursday is a holiday.

Some of my friends wanna go out.
Sunshine asked me, and then remembered she had something on. =(
I want to go and check out Asia Cafe (I finally found it = =' Noob!) with JY, Kishor and the rest of the DotAers (assuming they haven't given it up already.)

Maybe I'll call Ling to come over and do nothing just like old times, haha. xD
Or go to B's house to finish watching Ouran and talk about our colleges. =D
Or ask Sui to...nah, she's too far. =P

********************************BY THE WAY********************************

My mom's company is having a carnival.

Date: 19th January 2008
Day: Sunday
Time: 9am to 4 pm
Venue: Stadium Bukit Jalil
Price: 10 bucks per coupon book - get them from me!

Apparently there will be tons of games, and the food stalls will be the restaurants under Berjaya Corp - Starbucks, Kenny Rogers, McDonalds etc at subsidised rates.

Meaning: Cheap(er) food!

Plus, I'll be there around noon or so, mom has a stall to tend.

Come teman me!
If the carnival isn't fun, I'll entertain you, lol.
Trust me? =)

Ling and B may hitch a ride from my place if they like.
Sui got driver kan? =P

Though I'm not sure if the car's full already, Den called some of our friends to sleepover the night before.

Whatever.
Call me, you have my number. ;)


Song of the Day:

"Take A Chance On Me - Abba"

Aiyoyoyo.
You can tell it's good pop when it's stuck in your head for 2 weeks and counting.

1 comment:

Sui Yi said...

hey, i'm not too far ok. driver don't work on weekends la.
wow, asia cafe, my bro and his whole gang go there to dota oso.
i din know tat cc so famous for dota.