Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hands

Do you know what to say when there is a table full of people speaking in rapid-fire chinese saying how beautiful your HANDS are?

o_o

No, I don't either.

They asked me to pose my hands and they took pictures of it.
Then she kissed my hands before my mom drove them to the airport.

......

Wow. I didn't know there were people with hand fetishes.
*dazed look*

Okay. I didn't know how amazing people find my hands, especially when I reveal that my left hand is double-jointed.

Hypermobility (also called double-jointedness, hypermobility syndrome or hyperlaxity) describes joints that stretch farther than is normal. For example, some hypermobile people can bend their thumbs backwards to their wrists, bend their knee joints backwards, or put their leg behind the head. It can affect a single joint or multiple joints throughout the body.


Stolen from Wikipedia.

I can tuck my pinkie behind my ring finger, which I can tuck behind my middle finger, which I can tuck behind my index finger - simultaneously and without help without the other hand.

I can twist my pinkie around 180 degrees.

After preliminary stretching I can pull my thumb back to touch my wrist.

All my fingers, with exception of my thumb, can touch the back of the same palm.

Yes, my hand is extremely soft and I use to horrify people who grabbed my hand .
They used to drop it immediately with their eyes wide in shock.

Apparently my knuckles just collapse over each other when you hold my hand tight.
Also, my wrist appears...loose and flops around when you grab my forearm and shake it.

I can also tug on my my fingers and appear to detach the joints and stack them on top of my knuckle. =) JL is a pro at this - you should ask her to show you one day.

What I thought is that all children have extremely flexible bodies. When I was younger I used to twist my fingers in all sorts of positions to alleviate boredom. I especially liked to make 'splits' with my fingers - to lie them flat down on a surface with one finger pointing forewards and the other backwards.

I played with my fingers like this until I reached a certain age - perhaps 14 or so.
And my fingers have remained flexible until now.

My right hand is 'human' and does not bend any more than the average person's.

It never occured to me that people would find it freakish. =(
And it definitely never occured to me that some people find it beautiful. =_=

It's just hyper-flexibility born out of habit.

I used to be able to lie flat on my tummy and reach my legs over my head and cup my chin - I found this extremely useful during the one year I took ballet classes. The other students had to train for it and I already came pre-stretched or however else you wanna say it.

So anyway, I'm still in shock that people can actually find this characteristic of mine attractive. -.-
Most people just feel disgusted or squeamish and tell me that I'm weird.
Children love it though. Little kids used to sit next to me when they were bored, saying:

"Jie jie, can I borrow your hand?"

And I'd let them toy with my fingers; allowing them to twist it into various shapes and positions and giggle in amusement.

People my age are normally horrified and transfixed at the same time.

My guitar teacher filmed my contorting my fingers using his pocket PC so he could show it to his other students.

Yes.
I am a freak show.
A circus sideshow.
A tool of entertainment.
=_=

Sigh.

At least some people find it "fei chang piao liang o!"

A consolation.


Song of the Day:

"It Ends Tonight - All-American Rejects"

Maybe it should be "Freakshow - Britney Spears" instead.



1 comment:

Denise said...

HAHAAAA! my sister is a freak! XD